Governor Martin O’Malley’s press office is seeking interns to work in the Maryland State House. During this internship, you will gain experience in a fast-paced, high-level office environment and serve the State. Interns in the press office have the opportunity to learn about media relations, event preparation, and policy-based statistical analysis. We’re seeking excellent writers who are ready to work with our dedicated, forward-thinking communications team.
Note: Interns are expected to serve a minimum of 20 hours per week. While we are immediately interviewing applicants for the summer of 2014, we are also accepting applications for the fall of 2014.
Interns will have the following responsibilities:
1. Assisting press staff in research
2. Drafting letters for events
3. Transcribing speeches
4. Compiling news articles and media lists
5. Answering the main press office phone line
6. Proofreading documents prepared by staff
7. Other duties as assigned
Interns should have the following skills:
1. Knowledge of the O’Malley-Brown Administration accomplishments and programs
2. Excellent writing and proofreading skills
3. Excellent verbal communication skills
4. Professional office etiquette and demeanor when answering the telephone and interacting with office peers and guests
5. Ability to comprehend legislation, initiatives, and goals of the Governor
6. Understanding of the legislative process in Maryland
7. Computer Skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive and Adobe Acrobat. Interns should possess the ability to use search and analytical skills to find information online and assess validity.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and short writing sample (2-3 pages and no research papers) to Ron Boehmer at email@example.com. Please include your availability in your cover letter. The deadline to apply for summer 2014 is April 1, 2014.
All internships are unpaid and do not guarantee a job with the Governor’s Office upon completion.