This program offers U.S. citizen undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to participate in 10-week, unpaid internships that provide intensive educational and professional experience within the environment of America’s principle foreign affairs agency.
The unpaid internships are available at many of the over 270 U.S. embassies, consulates and missions to international organizations around the world, as well as at the Department of State in Washington, D.C. and other locations throughout the U.S. Participants gain first-hand, hands-on experience, and learn the realities of working in – and with – Foreign and Civil Service professionals who are at the forefront of America’s diplomatic efforts.
As an unpaid intern, you may have the opportunity to:
- Participate in meetings with senior level U.S. government or foreign government officials;
- Draft, edit, or contribute to cables, reports, communications, talking points, or other materials used by policy makers in furthering U.S. foreign policy objectives;
- Help organize and support events, including international and/or multi-lateral meetings and conferences on critical global issues;
- Contribute to the management and administration of the Department of State and America’s foreign policy; and
- Engage directly with U.S. or foreign audiences to promote U.S. foreign policy and improve understanding of U.S. culture and society.
We appreciate your interest in a career with the U.S. Department of State.
U.S. citizenship is required. An equal opportunity employer.
Questions? Contact Us