Conference on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in International Education
Friday, June 12, 2015
University of Maryland, College Park
Tickets: http://ter.ps/sotrtix (ter.ps/sotrtix)
EARLY BIRD rate available now through March 20th!
The Somewhere Over the Rainbow (SOTR) conference is a day of professional development primarily addressing the needs of international education administrators to understand sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) diversity, and for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer (LGBTQ) inclusion in the field of international education. The primary audience is education abroad administrators, international exchange administrators, and international student and scholar services administrators, particularly those working in higher education. However, people not fitting those categories are also welcome, especially higher education LGBTQ center professionals, international exchange administrators in government and NGOs, and students and scholars studying international education.
Invited presentations and special guests include:
U.S. Department of State, U.S. Agency for International Development, Freedom House, Advocates for Youth, IREX, International LGBTQ Youth & Student Organization (IGLYO), GoAbroad.Com, CISAbroad, CET Academic Program, The New School, Pasadena City College, California State University - Long Beach, George Washington University, Loyola University Maryland, the University of Maryland, and more!
The conference will include workshops addressing:
- Vocabulary and inclusive language in the global context
- Building an effective LGBTQ working group
- Advising study abroad students beyond Europe, with special updates on Sub-Saharan Africa
- Welcoming sexual and gender minorities through new international student orientations
- European perspectives on international LGBTQ youth and student activism
- Identity development of LGB international students from China
- Marketing and developing study abroad programs for LGBTQ students
Early bird registrations are available through March 20th. Regular registrations are available until May 12th. Late registrations will run from May 13th through June 10th. Refunds for tickets are not possible, however you may opt to have someone else use your ticket in your place by contacting the organizers.
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org