The Schroeder Institute Research Intern will work with the study Principal Investigator to support a pilot study funded by the American Legacy Foundation. This project examines real-world tobacco advertising exposure and attitudes towards tobacco products among non-smoking young adults in Washington DC. Work schedule is flexible up to 22 hours per week and some weekend and weekday evening availability (5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.) is required on an as-needed basis. This position is a temporary summer position. Responsibilities include telephone screenings and participant monitoring, administration of surveys to respondents, management and linking of study data, field work to tobacco retailers visited by respondents to obtain photos of tobacco advertising, and analysis and processing of study photos.
• Assistance in the coordination of the day-to-day aspects of the study including, but not limited to, protocol set-up, recruitment and retention, screening, data management, coordinating subject payments and other financial/account-related activities, entering data, maintaining participant files and databases;
• Assistance in oversight of data collection process, including survey administration, regular quality monitoring and preparation of data files for analysis;
• Documentation of study team meetings;
• Field work to DC tobacco retailers visited by study subjects
• Assistance in preparing scientific manuscripts, with the opportunity co-author papers.
Candidates should have a minimum of 1 year of experience in an applied research setting, ideally working directly in tobacco control or related area of substance use. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of a Bachelors degree in Psychology, Public Health, or related field. A Masters degree is preferred. Candidates must have strong communication and interpersonal skills, be experienced working in a team, and be able to work independently. Previous experience with the survey data collection or fieldwork is a plus. This internship requires excellent organizational skills, experience interacting with a diverse population, and exceptional attention to detail.
Legacy interns are PAID competitively, including a travel stipend. Apply here.