The National Park Service (NPS) Office of Partnerships and Philanthropic Stewardship (Partnership Office) is searching for a University of Maryland undergraduate or graduate student who is interested in an opportunity to assist in the development of an NPS Brand and Marketing Strategy that raises public awareness and understanding of the NPS mission and its core values; resonates with a broad range of audiences and constituent groups; promotes greater recognition of the brand; and attracts and encourages increased engagement and stewardship.
The NPS strives to fulfill its mission and encourage greater citizen engagement in national park programs and activities by partnering with educational institutions, organizations, businesses, and federal, state, tribal and local agencies. The Partnership Office helps the NPS and its partners create, enhance, and recognize their collaborative work through training, communication, and policy leadership.
Collaborate with a brand and marketing specialist and the Partnership Office to assist in the development of an NPS Brand Identity and Marketing Strategy. Depending on the phase of strategy development, interns may conduct research and write reports on the following topic areas,
- Define and describe the need and importance of creating a comprehensive NPS brand identity and marketing strategy.
- Research and report out on the history of NPS brand marks and usage.
- Research and report out on the history of NPS marketing, including successful marketing campaigns the NPS has carried out in the past.
- Create a list of focus and constituent groups and brainstorm ways to engage groups in order to develop a comprehensive and representative list of the universal meanings, values, emotions and intangible assets people equate with the NPS -and that the NPS seeks to convey through its new brand identity.
- Research and report out on the “best-in-class” branding and marketing strategies used by government agencies and nonprofit and corporate entities.
- Research and recommend the best ways to articulate and roll out the new strategy to NPS employees, partners, and other key stakeholders.
- Research different types of tools and tool kits government, non-profit, and corporate entities have created to ensure stakeholders are able to effectively utilize the new brand.
- Determine what types of guidance would be most useful in rolling out the new branding/marketing strategy.
- Develop a strategy to test brand and marketing effectiveness (once roll-out has occurred).
This internship is designed for current undergraduate or graduate students who have completed one or more marketing courses.
This position requires:
· Knowledge or experience in strategic marketing, brand and marketing communications, brand management, and marketing research methods.
· Strong communication skills; oral and written.
· Skills in policy research, analysis, and formulation.
· Ability to express findings in well researched documents, white papers, and briefings.
The Partnership Office is located in the NPS Washington Support Office at 1201 I Street NW, Washington DC 20005. The two closest metro stations are Metro Center and McPherson. Bus transportation is also conveniently located in close proximity to the office.
This part time (16-20 hours per week maximum) internship will run from September 14 (or sooner if available for an earlier start date) to the end of the fall semester, with a possibility to extend through the spring semester. Interns will be paid $14.00 per hour. The successful candidate will be responsible for securing his/her own housing and transportation arrangements in the Greater Washington D.C. area.
To apply, please submit an electronic cover letter, resume, professional and/or educational references, and a one-page writing sample to Kathryn Hopps, Program Director for Experiential Learning, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information or general questions about this position, please phone or email Jackie Dostourian, NPS Washington Partnership Office, at 202-354-2182 or Jackie_Dostourian@nps.gov.