We are seeking a Community Relations Coordinator (Req # 15185) to join the staff at our Washington DC location. The position of Community Relations Coordinator supports Government Relations and Communications for the District of Columbia Power Line Undergrounding (DC PLUG) initiative. The position is responsible for attending community meetings in support of The District’s and Pepco’s community outreach activities, coordinating outreach activities and materials and managing overall communications with the government, residents, businesses and stakeholders throughout the life of the DC PLUG initiative to ensure consistency. This position will also serve as the primary representative for the Undergrounding Project Consumer Education Task Force.
The community relations coordinator MUST be a resident of the District of Columbia.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as a liaison, ambassador and spokesperson between DC PLUG and government entities, business organizations and community leaders
- Coordinate communication efforts with residents, businesses, government offices and other stakeholders
- Coordinate the development and production of outreach materials, including reviewing and providing feedback on copy and graphic design layouts
- Resolve concerns of residents, businesses, government offices and other stakeholders
- Coordinate and facilitate successful public meetings
- Manage and track legislation related to the initiative
- Identify problems and develop strategies to manage risk exposure
- Provide effective strategic communications counsel
- Provide valuable insight and give constructive and objective recommendations and ongoing feedback to the project team
- Coordinate with Government Affairs and Communications to keep abreast of all issues related to the project.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Business Administration, Communications or related field or the equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Experience demonstrating skill serving on, or serving as a liaison to, committees and/or community organizations.
- Experience demonstrating skill developing and maintaining internal and external customer relationships, responding to and resolving customer issues, and retaining customers.
- Experience demonstrating skill maintaining good public presence and interacting with individuals at all levels.
- Experience demonstrating skill developing and managing outreach/collateral materials (e.g., brochures, flyers, fact sheets, etc.) and preserving brand standards
- Experience working with creative agencies
- Experience demonstrating skill performing public outreach and coordinating with various departments.
- Experience demonstrating skill developing and conducting formal presentations for public settings. Experience demonstrating skill actively listening and translating main points into customer communications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to reside in the District of Columbia within 6 months of entry into the position.
Click here for more required characteristics, preferred skills and to apply.