The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) provides strategic insights and policy solutions for decision-makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. A bipartisan, nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, DC, CSIS conducts research and analysis and develops policy initiatives that look into the future and anticipate change.
The Sumitro Chair for Southeast Asia Studies at CSIS provides substantive research and dialogue on Southeast Asia policy and regional issues.
CSIS offers full and part-time internships for undergraduates, graduate students, and recent graduates who are interested in gaining practical experience in public policy. The internship with the Southeast Asia program is part-time, and paid.
The Sumitro Chair is recruiting interns who are highly motivated, professional, and have a strong foundation in Southeast Asia studies and international relations/political economy. Excellent research and writing skills are required. Strong preference will be given to candidates who:
• Possess a deep grasp of Southeast Asia’s current political climate and history
• Have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
We require interns who are passionate, capable, and can work both in teams and independently. Interns will contribute to a variety of long-term research projects, assist with a wide range of events hosted by the program, compile the biweekly newsletter “Southeast Asia from Scott Circle,” provide general program support, and contribute to the program’s blog and social media presence.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Must be at least a college junior in good standing, an advanced student, or a recent graduate.
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution.
• Must be able to work in the United States.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Application materials must be submitted by COB on July 31, 2015, via the online portal here: https://www5.apply2jobs.com/CSIS. Interested applicants please submit the following:
• Please include your name on all application materials.
• A resume, preferably in lieu of or addition to the online application resume.
• A one page cover letter
• A short writing sample of 500-1,500 words. This may be taken from a larger work, but please do not include submissions above 1,500 words. Writing samples relating to Southeast Asia are strongly recommended.
• Unofficial Transcripts
• PDFs are preferred for all documents