Intern/Project Assistant: Citizen Participation Programs
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a current undergraduate, graduate student, or recent graduate with strong organizational, writing, and interpersonal skills to assist the Citizen Participation Team for fall 2015. NDI programs help strengthen civic organizations and promote citizen participation in primarily six areas: advocacy, community organizing, civic education, political process monitoring, organizational strengthening and voter education. The Citizen Participation Team is responsible for advising and assisting NDI's regional teams in the development and implementation of these programs around the world. The anticipated start date for this position is late August or early September 2015.
- Researching, writing and editing the Civic Update, an in-house publication that highlights best practices and lessons from the field, as well as innovative practices drawn from other organizations.
- Attending and reporting back to the team on selected internal meetings and external events.
- Assisting team members in responding to requests for information regarding NDI’s civic programs.
- Updating and maintaining resource materials for the team listserv and internal database.
- Assisting team members with generating online social media content for the Citizen Participation team’s Twitter and Google Communities accounts.
- Other research and administrative projects as needed.
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in international development, public policy, political science or a related field, or be a recent graduate.
- Previous interest and experience in at least one of the following: grassroots organizing, advocacy, Get-Out-the-Vote campaigns, voter education, civic education and related areas of work.
- Demonstrated interest in international issues related to democratic transitions and the role of civil society in promoting democratic reform.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English; proficiency in a second language a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and with others in a fast-paced office.
- Must be highly organized and efficient.
- Computer skills, especially those related to maintaining a website, are also a plus.
This is a paid internship that will gain an enhanced understanding of civil society's role in promoting and consolidating transitions to democracy. This position will have the opportunity to focus on work in the field to develop as case studies and other programmatic support materials. In addition, lectures, discussion sessions and other NDI events will be available for participation, as well as the opportunity to meet NDI staff working on areas that may be of particular interest. This position will work with the Director, Program Manager and Program Officer of the Citizen Participation Team. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please. The deadline for applications for this position is July 24, 2015.
Click here to learn about all NDI internships. Click here to apply.