The News Assistant works closely with All Things Considered staff in the production of the daily show. Assists in conducting research, booking interviews, and producing copy, all while under significant deadline pressure. Builds and hones foundational production skills, including editing host interviews and mixing reporter pieces. Strong research, writing, and communication skills are essential.
Essential Duties Include:
- Pitches story ideas for news and features, conducts research and assists in booking interviews.
- Works with ATC staff to build foundational editorial skills of pre-interviewing guests, drafting host interviews/copy, and gathering prep materials for hosts.
- Builds and hones foundational production skills of editing host interviews and mixing (increasingly complex) reporter pieces.
- Works under very tight deadlines. Research, writing, spelling/grammar skills are essential.
- Ability and willingness to learn field production techniques.
- Ability and willingness to regularly work a variety of shifts, including early morning and evenings.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent, with training in journalism and/or research.
- Expertise in daily coverage of national news or general news. Familiarity with specialty topics such as world news, business, sports, science, music, arts. Solid, independent news judgment.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and editing.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Demonstrated ability to learn audio production skills.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and help execute creative ideas and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Candidate must be available to work any assigned shift, including early morning and evening shifts.
- Ability and willingness to relocate.
Click here to learn more and to apply.