Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research Center does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. The Center’s work is carried out by a staff of 130.
The Fall internship is a paid internship opportunity during the Fall academic semester of 2015 (beginning in late August or September 2015) for undergraduate students in their junior or senior year, recent college graduates, or graduate level students with an interest in survey research methodology.
The Intern works directly with the methodology team in shaping the Pew Research Center’s methodological research agenda, implementing methodological research objectives and providing methodological guidance to research projects across the Pew Research Center. Interns are involved in all aspects of the survey research process within the Pew Research Center including questionnaire development, data management, statistical analysis, reporting of survey results and quality control. For all of these tasks, attention to detail and individual judgment are critical.
This position reports to the Director of Survey Research and works closely with other researchers on staff.
- Data analysis.
- Assisting with the operation of the American Trends Panel including working with users to develop questionnaire modules, interacting with the panel’s contractor team, assisting with data cleaning and processing, computing and analyzing panel performance data, reporting findings and other related tasks.
- Assist Methods staff in working with research staff to provide methodological advice at various stages in the research process, including overall study design, sampling, questionnaire development, data collection, weighting, analysis and reporting.
- Assist with writing methodology sections for reports and maintaining methodology-related materials on the website.
- Assist with the design and implementation of other methodological projects.
- Background in data management and analysis required.
- Experience with SPSS, SAS, Stata, R, or other statistical software required.
- Background in Social Science preferred.
- Experience with survey research preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Requirements:
- Interest in public opinion and polling required.
- A “numbers person” with strong quantitative and statistical skills.
- Detail oriented with exacting standards to maintain accuracy and impartiality in all work products.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Interest in expanding skills to cover new analytical tools and methods.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to balance numerous tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
Find out more about the position and and how to apply at Careers4Terps.