The American Red Cross International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. In the coming years the American Red Cross will deepen and expand its programming around the world while also working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent network, in order to deliver vital help and hope to some of the most vulnerable communities.
We are looking for an intern to work with the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) team, to support our Public Education programs and large public events. The intern will work as part of a small team where s/he will gain hands on experience working with public education programs and with our public outreach activities in IHL.
An interest in marketing and promotion, social media, communications and development is essential. Our interns work as integral members of our team and carry out professional level work in a supervised atmosphere.
This is a temporary, part-time, 20-hr per week, paid internship for the fall semester. The Intern will begin in September 2015 and will continue through the fall semester, with a possibility of extension.
- Supporting the team’s outreach, promotion activities, and events;
- Event outreach;
- Drafting blog posts and short updates for our website and communicating through social media on IHL topics;
- Grant research and writing; and
- Assisting with the collection of best practices and performing follow-up activities to strengthen our networks and gather information for monitoring and reporting purposes.
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate student in marketing, social marketing, communications, political science, international relations, or a related discipline;
- Must have strong written communication skills; computer skills, including familiarity with the Web and social media tools;
- Previous experience with grant research and writing;
- Strong interest in international issues and in IHL;
- Must be responsible, mature, able to work independently, highly organized, detail-oriented, able to handle multiple tasks at the same time and work under deadline pressure;
- Willingness to do background research and perform general office duties, as required;
- Selected candidate must already be legally allowed to work in the US without any need for Visa Sponsorship now or in the future.