Potential Start Date: September 1, 2015
Duration: Minimally 3 months up to 1 year
Compensation: Hourly wage
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids has been designated as one of five coordinating partners for Michael R. Bloomberg’s Global Initiative to Reduce Tobacco Use in low and middle-income countries, where more than two-thirds of the world’s smokers live. As part of this initiative, the Campaign has established a global advocacy resource center to provide accurate public information about tobacco use and effective tobacco control interventions and to assist advocates with resources and technical assistance to achieve policy change.
The International Research intern will join a fast-paced team charged with supporting tobacco control advocates in low-and middle-income countries. Interns will be expected to assist on both substantive and administrative projects. Interns will have the opportunity to explore tobacco control as a public health and policy issue and learn about international advocacy strategies and components.
- Conduct searches on tobacco documents and secondary sources in areas of interest.
- Translate findings from reports and other documents into fact sheets, presentations, letters or case studies for dissemination.
- Assist in responding to rapid research requests for facts and research documents from in-country partners and staff.
- Maintain electronic records of research articles, fact sheet files and contact lists for the international research team.
- Assist with general office duties such as faxing, scanning, and emailing documents as well as creating spreadsheets, proofreading materials and creating PowerPoint presentations.
- Participate in team meetings.
- Assist with writing letters to policymakers, including elected officials and senior administrators.
- Language skills preferred
- Familiarity with conducting literature searches, including Internet searching.
- Familiarity with research methods and ability to summarize research articles.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including editing and proofing with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment while juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Recent college graduates and current Master’s Degree students preferred.
Click here to learn more and to apply.