- USA TODAY newsroom interns will work with breaking news, features and enterprise content teams to learn and sharpen basic and advanced journalism skills, handling reporting, writing, editing, copy desk work, online production assignments, research, database work, investigative work and visual journalism.
- Interns will learn forms of alternative story-telling in a 24/7 deadline-driven newsroom.
- Interns will work independently and collaboratively across teams to provide perspectives and insights for newsroom and companywide projects identified by senior leadership as part of strategic growth initiatives. Critical thinking and analytical skills will be encouraged and sharpened.
- Interns will participate in daily news meetings, where they’ll learn about how news developments take shape.
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled at a college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0
- Well organized, detail oriented, adaptable and flexible
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous internship experience. Access to published writing clips, design portfolio and video footage required as part of application assessment for all newsroom internship roles.
- Technical skills required for some visual journalism team jobs, such as video shooting and editing. Videographer interns should demonstrate strong knowledge of digital media conversion and compression for web-based output. Requires excellent PC and Macintosh skills. Candidates should be well versed with Final Cut Pro and video compression with Sorenson. Expertise in web video delivery, including live streaming, is a plus. Video editing interns must demonstrate expertise with audio-video editing and video compression programs, including Final Cut Pro, AVID and Sorenson. Technical expertise in Internet video delivery including live streaming, FTP and Digital Asset Management.