Division & Project Overview:
The International Development Group (IDG), an international division of URC with projects in East and West Africa and Latin America. Technical areas addressed by these projects in include health systems strengthening, HIV/AIDS, TB, nutrition, livelihoods, community mobilization, quality improvement, and social and behavior change communications among others. IDG has a need for backstopping support for our contribution to the global HRH2030 Project, and our ongoing work in Uganda and Zambia related to nutrition and livelihoods.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Project Coordinator is responsible for carrying out financial and administrative tasks at the Bethesda headquarters office and backstopping field activities as they relate to project implementation. S/he provides day-to-day organization of project-related work and coordinates communication with subcontractors or subgrantees, partner organizations, and donor agencies.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review monthly project expenditures against budget and update financial tracker. Prepare written analyses of country spending as needed and coordinate monthly expenditure reviews. Alert project team to necessary contractual or management actions based on that review (i.e., line-item re-allocations, extensions needed etc.);
- Conduct programmatic review of monthly financial reports, as needed, in accordance with contractual requirements and US Government regulations. Provide written certifications of review, as required;
- Ensure that program inputs are mobilized when needed, including in the areas of consultants and home office technical assistance, contracts, budgets, procurement and HR, to support the achievement of project deliverables;
- Systematize the monitoring of achievement of various processes and contract deliverables through the development and use of project trackers. Use and maintain project trackers to ensure sound financial, administrative, and programmatic management of the projects and anticipate technical/program support needs and priorities;
- Provide administrative, technical and financial management support to field-based projects and staff, including monitoring project expenses and providing detailed analyses for decision-making, preparing and analyzing quarterly financial reports, and developing various iterations of project budgets for different audiences;
- Coordinate project activities with partners and other organizations as appropriate. Prepare for meetings and presentations of project activities (set up meetings, develop PowerPoint presentations, etc.)
- Assist senior technical and program staff in the development of annual work plans and accompanying budgets;
- Coordinate and assist with project start-up and close-out activities, as needed, including mobilizing field-based staff, registration, coordinating relocation costs and logistics, establishing close-out timeline, and coordinating close budget monitoring in compliance with budget and client regulations;
- Receive procurement documentation from field teams and conduct thorough review and analysis of completeness and compliance with USAID regulations. Arrange procurement and shipping of supplies and equipment to the field offices, as necessary;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date electronic and paper filing systems for assigned projects;
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of technical documents and PR publications about the project;
- Assist with proposal development and provide support to other projects as needed;
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in public health, international development or related field (or commensurate experience) PLUS one year of experience working on international donor funded projects in a programmatic and financial management capacity. A Master's degree or credits may substitute for a year of relevant work experience.
- Strong financial skills, including experience reviewing expenditure vouchers and accompanying receipts and determining allowability, allocability, and reasonableness of back-up documentation for expenditures.
- Strong budgeting skills, including experience with and aptitude for creating budget scenarios, projecting expenditures based on clear assumptions, and tracking actual expenditures against projections. Excellent Excel skills are a MUST.
- Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks and work collaboratively with others. Able to work independently in a fast-paced organization by prioritizing and managing multiple priorities. Strong attention to detail and follow-through required.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal and external clients.
- Fluency and excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Computer literacy is required. Advanced skills in Excel and MS Word a must.