Full time employee
Opportunity@Work seeks applicants who have a strong interest and prior experience in communications, social media and social justice. The successful candidate will report to the Chief of Staff of Opportunity@Work and support and work closely with the entire Opportunity@Work Team. The successful candidate will work in the media in local, state and national government, the private sector, philanthropy and civic organizations. The Communications Program Associate role is an excellent opportunity for individuals with strong attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple tasks and the desire to further professional skills in communications management and social media to assist in building a national network while working in a collaborative team setting.
Primary responsibilities will include (i) producing written material (including social media posts, newsletter entries, press releases and policy documents) that communicate the program’s ideas and initiatives to key audiences (ii) assisting with management of newsletters and social media channels; and (iii) maintaining daily and weekly routine communications on behalf of the program and the TechHire initiative.
Based at New America in Washington DC, Opportunity@Work is a civic enterprise whose mission is to re-wire the U.S. labor market to enable more Americans to achieve upward mobility in the job market and workplace, to facilitate actions by U.S. employers to develop the talent they collectively need to succeed and grow, and to scale up innovations that unlock more fully all people’s potential for higher-value, meaningful work - as a source of economic opportunity and national competitive advantage.
Launched in 2015, Opportunity@Work's first initiative aims to enable widespread adoption of inclusive hiring and accelerated training into good paying tech jobs, across all industries. Over half a million such jobs are open today, with employer demand to hire for these jobs growing faster than traditional education and training programs. Beginning with the TechHire initiative, Opportunity@Work will work with a range of technology, private sector and philanthropic partners to create freely available tools to streamline the sign-up and participation of thousands of employers (with 35 communities and over 500 employers already signed on) in inclusive hiring, and to facilitate a nationwide learning network to rapidly improve the TechHire initiative’s impact.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively, work independently, take initiative and problem solve
- Exceptional attention to detail, organization skills, time management
- Ability to prioritize competing obligations and consistently meet multiple deadlines
- Eager to learn and adopt communications best practices
- Open and flexible attitude
- Thrive in a fast paced, high volume, results –oriented environment
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation and a desire to learn on the job
- Applied media relations experience
- Demonstrated interest in work force, social justice and inclusive training/hiring related issues
- Familiarity with social media tools, digital engagement and online communications platforms
- Interest in policy research is beneficial