New America’s Open Technology Institute seeks enthusiastic, motivated college/graduate students or individuals with equivalent experience for our communications internship for summer 2016 in our Washington, DC office. Applicants must be passionate about tech policy and interested in learning about and breaking down complex issues for broad audiences, while working in a fast-paced environment. Internships are for pay unless credit is required.
The Open Technology Institute (OTI) works at the intersection of technology and policy to ensure that every community has equitable access to digital technology and its benefits. OTI’s staff includes noted experts on multiple issues who work closely with a diverse team of policy experts, technologists, social scientists, and data analysts. OTI is housed within New America, a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States.
About the Job:
OTI is looking for a Communications Intern who will work with our internal communications team. S/he will help support OTI’s efforts to create public discussion around issues by assisting with press list curation, content creation, creating visuals for the website and for social media, and by helping refine the user experience on our website. S/he will report to the Communications Manager. The internship is based in Washington, DC, right next door to the White House.
● Research and document process for posting OTI content (events, editorial content) to external sites
● Update Meltwater with reporter pitching preferences
● Research articles on OTI’s issues in order to identify new reporters, and add them to issues specific press lists.
● Website Audit - assist in managing and repairing user experience issues
● Issue Based One Pagers - compile recent outputs for our issue areas that would could easily send out for pitching or be tailored as a quick hits reader
● Visual Designs/Graphics - to be used on social media, in reports and more
Qualified interns will have the opportunity to author or co-author blog posts, articles, press releases or press pitches. Interns will also have the opportunity to attend educational events in Washington, DC.
● Current student at accredited college or university or possessing relevant professional experience;
● Experience with content management systems, graphic, and web design;
● Proficiency in Word, Excel, TweetDeck and Google Docs;
● Familiarity with Salesforce will be a plus;
● Video editing or print design experience will be a plus;
● Knowledge of Adobe InDesign & Photoshop will be a plus;
● Strong written and verbal skills;
● Acute attention to detail;
● Must be a web-savvy;
● Interest in tech and policy will be a plus but not required;
● Should have strong work ethic. S/he should be a self-starter with a positive attitude who can take on projects with minimal supervision.
Submit a resume, one-page cover letter, and a brief writing sample. Submissions will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply here.