Communications Summer Intern
- Assist in creation and posting updates to City’s social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) and website (webpages, blog posts, calendar entries).
- Assist in marketing special events.
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas and directions for web promotion and site use.
- Assist in organizing and chronicling Communications documents.
- Opportunity to assist in emergency/crisis communications including media relations, should a situation arise.
- Assist in media relations including news releases.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements: The intern should have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience writing for both the web and social media platforms and interacting with the public. They must be computer literate, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; experience with Adobe Creative Suite and design principles a plus. The ideal candidate is web savvy, with experience managing social media accounts, uploading and posting documents to the web, and communicating electronically. They should be self-motivated, possess strong organizational skills, be detail-oriented, and have the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines. This internship is ideal for students working towards a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, or Public Relations).
Hours: Flexible, but intern must work at least 20 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks in June, July or August.
Salary: This is a paid internship for $12 an hour, temporary position, no benefits. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit. Training opportunities will be made available. See www.fallschurchva.gov for additional information.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (preferably related to Public Relations; classwork okay) to the City of Falls Church, Human Resources Division, 300 Park Avenue, Falls Church, VA 22046, or via e-mail at email@example.com
For More Information Contact: Susan Finarelli, Office of Communication, City of Falls Church, 300 Park Avenue, Suite 303 E, Falls Church, VA 22046-3332; Phone: (703) 248-5003; Fax: (703) 248-5146; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housing & Human Service Intern
- Assisting with research, and document design for Housing reports
- Assisting with research and writing for Housing and Human Services marketing materials
- Performing outreach for Housing and Human Services programs
- Assist in client intake documentation
Hours: Flexible, 20 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks in May, June, or July.
Salary: This is a paid internship in the range of $12 to $13 an hour, temporary position, no benefits. Training opportunities will be made available. See www.fallschurchva.gov for additional information.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to the City of Falls Church, Human Resources Department, 300 Park Avenue, Suite 102W, Falls Church, VA 22046, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
For More Information Contact: Dana Lewis, Housing & Human Services, Phone: (703) 248-5005; Fax: (703) 248-5149; e-mail: Dlewis@fallschurchva.gov.