The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster enlightened leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with issues critical to our society. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
The Aspen Global Leadership Network (AGLN) is a growing, worldwide community of entrepreneurial leaders from business, government and the nonprofit sector - more than 2,100 "Fellows" from 49 countries - who share a commitment to enlightened leadership and to using their extraordinary creativity, energy and resources to tackle the foremost societal challenges of our times. All share the common experience of participating in the Henry Crown Fellowship or one of the 13 other Aspen Global Leadership Network initiatives it has inspired in the United States, Africa, Central America, India, the Middle East and China.
To support a number of the AGLN core team functions and assist the Deputy Director of Operations and Partnerships. This position will foster team efficiencies, communication and collaboration. Key duties include coordinating meetings and projects; drafting correspondence, meeting minutes and bios; liaising with partner staff; entering, tracking and reporting on various data; proofreading and providing quality control to documents and budgets; and assisting with event operations. This position requires attention to detail, excellent time management and follow through, and a passion for working collaboratively in the service of the AGLN's mission, which is to forge a global network of entrepreneurial leaders deeply committed to each other and the betterment of society.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Support to AGLN Team and Management
* Coordinate AGLN team meetings (approximately every month) and huddles (each week), and semi-annual team events such as retreats and holiday receptions.
* Prepare meeting agendas, minutes, and action items; take concise notes at meetings and track and share action items in a timely fashion with participants.
* Schedule internal and external meetings for the Deputy Director for Operations and Partnerships, entering and managing details in Microsoft Outlook. Field phone and email inquiries when he/she is traveling.
* Secure conference rooms, call-in numbers and catering as needed. Meet and greet visitors to the office as needed.
* Input data and documents into the AGLN Salesforce database and create reports from Salesforce. Assist with file management and document organization.
* Draft/prepare documents working off of templates (e.g., job descriptions, consulting contracts, custom seminar contracts, program fact sheets).
* Assist with vendor coordination, including gathering bids, managing payment cycles.
* Liaise with Aspen Institute Office Services surrounding office needs (including equipment requests, office moves and new staff onboarding); and place and track supply and furniture orders.
* Assist with onboarding new staff, including maintaining and updating customized AGLN documents for training as well as tracking Aspen Institute-wide policy manuals. Field questions from new staff on Aspen Institute processes and on topics such as accounting codes and human resource processes. Create new tools as needed.
* Prepare request for payment forms, wire transfer documents, assist with deputy directors' monthly expense reports, reimbursements and company credit card payments.
* From time to time, provide assistance with various hiring processes, including scheduling interviews for the Deputy Director for Operations and Partnerships, and tracking candidates' status.
* Serve as the main point of contact in AGLN for the coordination of annual donor reports. Work closely with Development, and throughout the year ensure acknowledgement and reporting of donations/gifts. Donor reports include gathering bios and testimonials and assisting with facilitating the process.
* Occasionally book flights and hotels, arrange visas and travel insurance.
* Occasionally do short secondary research surrounding companies, foundations, Fellows and/or issue areas.
Support to AGLN Programs and Partnerships
* Work with the core team and Fellowship program staff on seminars best practices support, keeping the knowledge platform updated and organized with new data and checklists (currently in Basecamp)
* Handle meeting logistics and minutes for quarterly program coordinators' conference calls, etc.
* Maintain contact information of the staff and board members of the Fellowship programs.
* Assist with tracking partner invoices, contracts, agreements, and checklists, maintaining folders and archives.
* As needed, work with accounting and the financial services unit (FSU) to ensure payments made, budgets reconciled, travel costs reimbursed, etc. Occasionally prepare invoices for programs and custom seminars. Proofread accounting reports for consistency in coding, general accuracy and quality control.
* Assist senior program associate with seminar curriculum by preparing files for seminar readings (such as table of contents, author bios, etc.), and compile these files in a digital format for production; Also seek copyrights for each seminar via an online platform and via email/phone where necessary
* Assist with planning the AGLN Advisory Council semi-annual meetings. Coordinate budgets, contracts, meeting materials, and participant/facilitator travel and needs on location.
* Occasionally provide in-person staffing support at events and seminars of the AGLN, including the Advisory Council.
* Assist Fellowship program coordinators with monitoring their budgets.
* Domestic (and occasional international) travel required a couple times per year.
* Other tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
* Bachelor's degree in a related field, with strong academic performance and proven writing skills
* At least one year total experience in an office environment (this may include internships)
* Strong interest in the work and mission of the AGLN
* Excellent time management and organizational skills - ability to handle multiple, varied tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines, coordinating with multiple teammembers to ensure smooth communication
* Professionalism, judgement and discretion
* Graciousness, kindness and an ethic of service
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* An openness toward working with people from different cultures and backgrounds
* Sensitivity with working with confidential information
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, the internet and social media
* Proficiency with databases and information management systems (experience on Salesforce platforms preferred but not required)
* Some event planning/execution experience required (this may include extracurricular activities or internship experience)
* Attention to detail
* Personal initiative and ability to work well independently
Learn more and apply at Careers4Terps.