Provides research assistance and communications support for senior research staff. Undertakes independent research assignments with minimal supervision; drafts summaries of findings and assists with preparation of publications. Coordinates with CEPM's Director, Deputy Director and Assistant Director on project management. Collaborates on matters pertaining to public or private events, website content and outreach as needed. Coordinates with GS Development staff on matters pertaining to proposals and donor reporting.
* Researches and collects documents and information from various sources (government agencies, universities, libraries, Internet, non-profit research organizations etc.) on relevant topics in support of Governance Studies (GS) scholars, including, but not limited to: campaigns and elections, government bureaucracy, marijuana policy reform and media studies.
* Collects and prepares data from various sources for quantitative and qualitative analysis.
* Compiles, reads, abstracts, synthesizes, analyzes, and organizes written and electronic material into summarized form.
* Updates and maintains research-related scholar deliverables in the GS impact tracker on a weekly basis.
* Analyzes and produces written summaries of quantitative data.
* Provides editing assistance for research products in preparation for publication.
* Attends symposia, conferences and hearings relevant to research projects; summarizes content of such events.
* Provides general research on a variety of short-term projects and briefs scholars in a timely fashion.
* Updates and checks existing data and footnotes; provides fact checking, editing and proof-reading of documents in preparation for publication (as needed).
* Indirectly provides input on the selection, hiring and supervision of CEPM interns.
* Coordinates with CEPM's Director, Deputy Director, Director of Business Operations and staff, as well as GS communications, administration and finance staff as needed.
* Assists the Deputy Director with organizational, scheduling and logistical needs for research, travel and coordination with coauthors (as needed) in conjunction with the Assistant Director.
Communications / Editorial (20%):
* Primary blog publisher for FixGov, including posts, images and summary content
* Assists with reviewing and editing posts before publishing.
* Conducts relevant research for posts when necessary.
* Manages and updates the FixGov editorial schedule.
* Participates in pitching and developing ideas for blog content.
* With the GS communications staff, develops and executes plans for promoting FixGov content, including outreach to the media.
* Co-authors blog posts with the Fellows and Senior Fellows, and occasionally authors summary content.
- Bachelor's degree in a social science or related field required; academic background in political science or related field preferred; familiarity with and interest in American government required; minimum one year of relevant work experience using and applying quantitative methods and statistical packages required (i.e. SPSS, SAS, STATA etc.).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows - Word and Excel required; prior knowledge of HTML or experience with web publishing a plus. Thorough knowledge of library and online research resources with capacity to conduct independent research and fieldwork preferred; experience writing and editing for a variety of audiences required; strong interpersonal, organizational and communications skills required. Ability to synthesize information and to write clearly and precisely without supervision required.
Learn more at Careers4Terps.