Recent Grad with Experience Writing or Editing? Position with the Fair Labor Association
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers’ rights and to improve working conditions globally through adherence to international standards.
The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Shanghai, China. For information, visit www.fairlabor.org
The incumbent of this position is primarily responsible for editing, formatting, reviewing and posting Independent External Assessment (IEA) reports online in a timely manner. The responsibilities also include i) review and publishing of updates on remediation, ii) assisting with other communications and editing projects when and as needed, and iii) assist company staff with inquiries.
1. Review, edit, format, and post IEA reports (including reports from the Agricultural Program) (60%)
• Review the reports and remediation plans to ensure they are up to FLA standards
• Coordinate communication between affiliate contacts, FLA regional teams, factories, and third party auditors to track the report workflow and to ensure deadlines are met
• Handle inquiries from third party auditors and affiliates regarding the reports and remediation plans
• Support FLA staff with the creation of training material for affiliates and third party auditors
• Assist with the drafting or revision of SOPs and Guidance documents
2. Review and publish updates to IEA reports (10%)
• Review and update historical IEA reports as updates are received
3. Other programmatic tasks (20%)
• Participate in collaborative inter-departmental special projects on behalf of the Workplace Accountability Department
• Assist with the coordination and minute-taking of the Monitoring Committee meetings
• Support Associate Director for Workplace Accountability with factory selection and platform specific research tasks
• Other research duties as assigned for issue briefs or best practice papers
4. Other tasks, as required (10%)
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: The incumbent of this position may oversee the work of the Accountability Program Interns.
• Work in an office environment
• Heavy computer usage
• Requires bending, reaching and lifting up to 20 lbs
• Strong editing, copy-editing and writing skills
• Statistical skills a plus
• High-level communication skills, both oral and written; proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive matters
• Strong organizational skills
• Attention to detail
• Team player
• Sound judgment
• Demonstrated initiative and reliability
• Diplomacy skills
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Strong commitment to the mission of the FLA to protect workers’ rights and conduct due diligence on affiliated businesses and their respective supply chains
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Business, Law, Sociology, Industrial Relations, or other relevant field
• At least two years of experience writing or editing documents for the general public
• Knowledge of and experience in the labor compliance field, labor rights, human rights and/or corporate social responsibility
• Strong computer literacy including MS Office Suite; experience with iOS preferred
• Experience in writing various types of reports
Please send cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include Workplace Accountability Program Associate in the subject line.
Your application will not be considered if you do not submit salary history.