American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH) is the professional partner in the United States of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. American Friends is currently implementing a strategic plan, which calls for the development of new programs to engage alumni and to raise the profile of the organization and its German partner as resources on the globalization of the research and the reshaping of the US research landscape.
Working as a team, the Program Coordinators are responsible for the day-to-day implementation of key programs of the American Friends including alumni engagement, fellowship recruitment, coordination of major events, and publications. With responsibilities for event planning, writing and development of outreach and promotional materials, and database management and reporting, the Program Coordinator executes American Friends programs and seeks to leverage AFAvH’s activities, contacts, and outreach programs to reinforce one another and advance the mission and goals of the institution. The position description outlines broad areas of responsibility. Specific tasks will shift as needed in response to changes in programs and priorities.
· Prepare and manage solicitation of program alumni and friends; record and reconcile contributions; and ensure timely gift acknowledgement.
· Assist with prospect research and grant writing.
· As needed, assist with research, materials preparation or logistical support for special initiatives, outreach activities of the President, Board members, or alumni.
· Provide general administrative support as needed to ensure the smooth and efficient management of the office and consistent high-quality, responsive support of the Board and other volunteer leaders.
· Supervise and support the positive professional development of American Friends interns.
· Participate in organizational planning and evaluation; provide regular progress updates and reports on initiatives and activities to ensure quality, flag challenges and achieve goals.
· BA required. Study in a field relevant to the work of the American Friends, German, communications, or nonprofit management a plus.
· Functional German language skills and cultural fluency highly desired.
· One to three years of experience in coordinating special events or programs, writing and development of newsletters, features, proposals, or promotional materials, working with networks, and database management.
· Excellent organizational abilities with sharp attention to details and logistics, keen sense of how individual activities support the institution’s larger goals.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain a wide range of relationships and partnerships with professionalism and responsiveness.
· Ability to work and contribute to a team and a flexible, “can do” attitude
· Commitment to the mission of American Friends.
Email a cover letter addressed to Ilonka Oszvald, Chief of Operations, describing your interest in the position, relevant experience, and qualifications; a resume; a one-to-two-page writing sample; and three references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.