HIAS seeks a U.S. Programs intern to help respond to the global refugee crisis. S/he works with the U.S. Programs team on initiatives affecting refugees, asylees and special immigrant visa (SIV) holders resettling in the United States.
A semester or quarter commitment is required.
- Supports post-arrival staff in research and develops materials in support of refugee resettlement programs (Reception & Placement, Matching Grants, preferred Communities and Refugee AmeriCorps) and/or functional areas (i.e. employment, cultural orientation, and psychosocial/ mental health).
- Supports Pre-Arrival staff in all aspects of pre-arrival case processing, which may include case placement and assurance, case transfers, family reunification (P3 and CAM), and AOR.
- Provides support to the Associate Director, Grants Management and U.S. Programs team, as necessary.
- Participates in webinars and conference calls.
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree; strong interest in refugee resettlement, human rights, international relations, and immigration.
- Experience with immigrants, asylees, and/or refugees preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and written communication skills; critical thinking and cross-cultural communication skills strongly desired.
- Detail oriented; ability to handle various tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Foreign language proficiency preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint preferred.
Interested applicants must include a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample and contact information for three references.