Recent Grad with Arabic or Kurdish? Education for Peace in Iraq Center is Hiring a Program Assistant
The Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC) is seeking a highly qualified and motivated individual with a strong, working knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurdish to fill the full-time position of Program Assistant with an ideal start date as soon as possible.
The Program Assistant supports the Director of Development and Communications and the Executive Director in advocacy, research, fundraising, and effective office administration. The Program Assistant will also help supervise a team of interns.
OFFICE OPERATIONS and DATA MANAGEMENT
- Report metrics and identify trends, and contribute to the development and maintenance of a metrics dashboard for weekly reference - Establish and maintain an electronic filing system of EPIC's media and documents - Receive visitors and answer/direct phone calls, log and pass on phone messages - Keep office common areas organized and stocked with necessary office supplies - Manage the relationship with most of EPIC's vendors (e.g. web developer, office suppliers, job/intern advertisers, etc.)
RESEARCH AND MONITORING
- Coordinate the weekly compiling and publication of EPIC's Iraq Security and Humanitarian Monitor (ISHM) in collaboration with the Director of Development and Communications and the Executive Director - Train select interns on how to conduct daily research to support ISHM's content - Ensure ISHM's consistency, reliability, and authenticity through proper editing and thorough fact-checking - Grow ISHM subscribership by developing and implementing strategic objectives, including the growth of relationships with notable Iraq watchers and scholars - Create and publish special editions of the publication when warranted
- On a quarterly basis and under the guidance of the Director of Development and Communications, write or contribute to external communications that further EPIC's mission and communications strategy (e.g. Blog posts, op-eds, and social media content) - Edit, publish, and promote each episode of the IRAQ MATTERS podcast, including conducting guest interviews when needed - Accurately represent EPIC and maintain good relations with Iraq-based partners including government authorities, NGOs, potential supporters, and beneficiaries in coordination with the Executive Director - Review and provide English summaries of all Arabic communications from the field (including audio and video media) - Organize all reports and digital media that EPIC receives from the field - Participate in program meetings and actively contribute suggestions for improvement - Champion projects through crowdfunding campaigns to help ensure that EPIC achieves its fundraising targets
- Advertise internship opportunities and assist in intern recruitment - Develop job descriptions based on office needs - Update and manage intern contracts and records - Assist in training and tasking interns over the entire course of their internships
- Maintain website content and post updates using WordPress and by working with the website developer - Utilize Search Engine Optimization to grow web presence and reach - Remain up-to-date on best web practices by reading industry blogs and participating in online or in-person classes and forums - Report website metrics monthly and develop a plan for website improvement - Conduct timely problem solving to fix bugs and maintain standards - Manage all domain registrations, web hosting, add-ons, and related services - Survey users and track user data to optimize website performance, especially in relation to EPIC's strategic goals and objectives
- Provide English/Arabic translations of social media posts, written reports, audio/video media, websites, and other such items whenever necessary - Remain dedicated to EPIC's mission: making Iraq safe and prosperous again through programming, advocacy, and education - Work zealously to implement EPIC's strategic goals and objectives and enhance its reputation and brand - Contribute to a positive work environment with all colleagues, including interns - Take initiative that adds value to the organization, including participation in professional development activities and staying up-to-date on the situation in Iraq - Accomplish other tasks and duties as they are assigned with attention to detail and thoughtful ability.
- A strong, working knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic and/or Kurdish is required
- Bachelor's degree in public affairs, communications, political or social science, international relations, nonprofit management, or a related field - Demonstrated interest and familiarity with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, especially Iraq, on humanitarian, security, and development issues
- Ability to thoroughly research topics and find answers with limited instruction
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to keep track of expenses and manage a budget - Proficiency with social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn - Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Photoshop Elements, WordPress and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Self-motivated, flexible, diligent, detail- and team-oriented
- Ability to work well under pressure and to prioritize multiple tasks with limited instruction
- A sense of humor is a strong plus +
Submit a CV, a cover letter, a list of at least three references, and a writing sample of no more than five pages to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your first and last name and the position title in the subject line.