The Atlantic Council seeks a highly motivated organizer, critical thinker, and communicator for a full-time Program Assistant position at the Global Energy Center. The Center is a very small, tightly knit team dedicated to advancing the discourse in Washington on a wide range of energy and foreign policy issues. The Program Assistant will be a central player on this team to support the Center’s overall function and help manage the affairs of the Director and Deputy Director .
Reporting through the Center’s Deputy Director to the Founding Director and Chairman, the Program Assistant’s main responsibilities will include providing staff support for Center activities including programming, research, and communications initiatives. The Program Assistant will conduct administrative tasks, plan and execute events for the Center, and manage scheduling for the Center’s leadership. The Program Assistant will also supervise Global Energy Center interns with the support of the Deputy Director.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with a demonstrated ability to think critically, communicate effectively, and execute at an operational level. The candidate will have a background in international affairs and a strong interest in global energy issues and their geopolitical implications. The position requires adaptability, superior writing and interpersonal skills, and first-rate attention to detail. The successful Program Assistant will be eager to roll up his/her sleeves to deliver results for the Global Energy Center.
The successful candidate for this position will be committed to the Atlantic Council’s core mission to renew the Atlantic community for global challenges and Global Energy Center’s commitment to help the United States and its partners take the lead in shaping a new world of energy. This position will be located in Washington. The Atlantic Council seeks applicants with diverse backgrounds and offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
• Staff the Center Director and Deputy Director, including schedule management
• Ensure the seamless execution of day-to-day operations for Global Energy Center programs and initiatives
• Assume lead responsibility in organizing Council events, including workshops and conferences; support to senior Atlantic Council staff, coordinate travel arrangements, and prepare substantive briefing materials for Atlantic Council principals.
• Draft and edit Center promotional materials, external correspondence, and internal reports, support the completion and dissemination of Center newsletters and other products;
• Support media engagement for the Center, including a dynamic social media presence.
• Manage the Global Energy Center internship program and recruit interns.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher, in international relations, public policy, or other relevant fields.
• 0-2 years’ relevant work experience.
• Self-starter who can take general instructions and produce specific results
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and analytical rigor.
• Ability to think strategically while executing at the operational level
• Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated ability to effectively work in a small team setting
• Desire and work ethic to become an expert on complex global energy issues
• Knowledge of social media management tools including Buffer, Hootsuite, and more.