The Office of Sustainability, in partnership with Dining Services and the Office of Recycling and Solid Waste, seeks interns to become part of the LEAF Outreach Team at the University of Maryland. LEAF is an acronym and stands for Lead, Educate, Act, Facilitate – this is your job description! Your primary goal will be to “LEAF Out” across campus at special events, games, gatherings and tabling opportunities to promote and reward green practices on our campus. If you are outgoing and love interacting with people, are passionate about sustainability, and are looking to gain some valuable work experience, then join our Outreach Team. You'll be working with a dedicated and knowledgeable team working to effect positive change towards sustainability on our campus!
The LEAF Out Intern will encourage sustainable behaviors by students, staff, and faculty on campus.
Interns may be involved in these, and other, outreach opportunities:
• Running workshops such as green cleaning, food miles,
• Teaching upcycled crafting using recycled materials,
• Encouraging Terps to take the Small Footprint Pledge,
• Catching people doing a sustainable act and rewarding them,
• Tabling at events like First Look Fair, Earth Day, Stamp Fest, Maryland Day, and The Farmers Market at Maryland,
• And more...
It is expected that each intern will work approximately 4 hours per week from October through May.
This internship lasts for 1 school year.
Qualifications: The LEAF Outreach Team Intern must have strong
communication skills, an outgoing personality, and a strong interest
in sustainability initiatives. The intern should feel comfortable with
public speaking, developing and giving presentations and facilitating workshops with their peers. Interns are expected to have a professional work ethic, and a desire to make the campus more
sustainable. It is imperative that interns are creative and passionate
about sustainability so they can expand our outreach events and
activities. This internship applies to any major.
Prerequisites: Interns must be a current University of Maryland undergraduate student and able to commit to 4 hours per week for the entire school year. These hours will vary from week to week but we will work with your timetable to develop a mutually agreeable schedule. Team Members will need to attend a mandatory training session in October. A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA is recommended.
Internship Credit: One (1) academic credit may be available for this internship. Talk to your program’s faculty to find out more details. Students must satisfy the specific internship requirements of the supporting academic department to earn credit.
To Apply: Please send a resume and short (1 minute max.) video to email@example.com. The video should share:
• Most importantly, your creativity and personality!
• Your name, year, major/department.
• Your interest in being on our Outreach Team.
• Your unique skills that would make you a great LEAF Out Team Member.
• Why you want to be on the LEAF Out Team.
• How this internship fits into your education, experience or plans for the future.
Deadline: Please send your application (resume and video) by Friday, September 25, 2016.