World Resources Institute is a global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our 500 experts and staff work with partners in more than 50 countries; we have offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Internships at WRI provide opportunities for motivated young professionals to learn from our experts and participate in engaging work at the intersection of environment and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all of our programs and offices. We seek interns with diverse backgrounds and who are passionate about the environment to help us make a direct global impact. For more information, see our website: Internships at WRI
WRI is recruiting a full-time intern for the Managing Director’s Office. The intern will work with WRI’s Manager for Global Results and Program Coordinator for Managing for Results to support WRI’s Managing for Results platform, particularly (1) WRI’s annual Top Ten Outcomes celebration, a global celebration to recognize WRI’s biggest results achieved over the past year, and (2) a literature review to strengthen the Managing for Results platform. We encourage applications from detail-oriented individuals with excellent organizational skills. This position is best suited to a recent graduate in environment and/or development studies or communications, with knowledge and interest in monitoring and evaluation desirable. Demonstrated interest and coursework in environmental topics is essential.
WRI’s Managing Director oversees WRI’s programmatic work across the globe. The Manager for Global Results oversees WRI’s platform for setting strategy to achieve outcomes, monitoring and supporting implementation, and recognizing outcomes and capturing learning, and is supported by the Program Coordinator for Managing for Results. This internship is an opportunity to gain work experience at one of the world’s leading environment and development organizations, and to gain exposure to a broad array of topics, including Cities & Transport, Climate, Energy, Food, Forests, Water, Business, Economics, Finance, and Governance.
WRI is committed to ensuring gender equity across our program portfolios. As such, the Intern is expected to incorporate attention to gender where appropriate.
The intern will gain experience in the following areas:
WRI’s Managing for Results platform:
• Assist with the design, logistics, and implementation of WRI’s annual Outcomes Celebration.
• Contribute to a review of the latest literature on results management.
• Update a database of WRI’s past outcomes and complete an analysis to support learning.
• Support the review of programmatic strategy documents, particularly the formulation of intended outcomes (real-world change).
• Refine presentation materials on Managing for Results.
• Assist with scheduling, and attend, review meetings with project teams to provide support on strategy execution.
Degree : Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in environment and/or development studies or communications. Master's degree preferred.
• Highly responsible, self-motivated
• Excellent research and writing skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Well organized and efficient
• Strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Outlook and additional Microsoft Office products
• Can work well under pressure and juggle multiple assignments
• Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to think creatively
WRI does not sponsor interns for visas of any kind. Must have authorization to work in the U.S. to be eligible for this position.
Final candidate will be required to take a writing test
Finalists will need to submit 2 writing samples
Salary: This is a paid intern position with an hourly rate based on experience.
Duration: 3 months
Start and End dates: Mid-September to mid-December 2016
Location: Washington, DC
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should apply online at careers.wri.org. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.