The Major League Operations internship includes assisting the Baseball Operations Department with day-to-day assignments along with long term projects centered on roster management, salary arbitration, transactions, and the economics of baseball. Highly advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills are strongly preferred, as are a degree in economics, statistics, or mathematics, work experience in finance or consulting, and a demonstrated interest and understanding of publicly available sabermetrics research and the economics of baseball.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage recurring tasks such as organizing roster boards, updating depth charts, and disseminating daily reports
- Ad hoc data analysis projects
- Review of new research from various external analytical sources
- Support with general office work including mailings, guest interaction, document production and filing
- Assist with major baseball events such as the amateur draft, trade deadline, and salary arbitration
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have recently graduated from an accredited college or university, or equivalent military experience.
- Pursuing a degree or received a degree in Economics, Statistics, or Mathematics preferred.
- Experience in Finance or Consulting preferred.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Available for the entire term of the Internship.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Highly motivated and excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated passion for baseball and baseball operations
- Strong, confident communication skills including the ability to write clearly and effectively
- Ability to use time efficiently
- Proficient in MS Office applications such as Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical skills
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.