Paid Spring and Summer Vibrant Media & the Public Square Internship
The Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people.
The Democracy Fund is seeking highly motivated undergrads, graduate students, and recent graduates from across the political spectrum for internship with our Public Square Program for the Spring and/or Summer 2017 terms.
Our Public Square Program focuses on vibrant media and citizen engagement by supporting innovations and institutions that help people better understand and participate in the democratic process. We’re looking for candidates with experience in journalism, communications, and/or civic innovation who are passionate about making our political system more effective.
· Provide logistical support during meetings with reform leaders, political figures, and academic authorities—this may include note-taking, drafting memoranda, proofing and copy editing materials, and welcoming visitors to the Democracy Fund office.
· Research issues in key policy areas relating to the Democracy Fund’s strategic objectives and oversee regular database updates.
· Actively engage with all staff at the Democracy Fund as a capable and collaborative team member. We count on our interns to contribute to policy discussions and help develop solutions to some of the greatest problems our nation faces today.
· Assist in evaluating grantmaking opportunities and with the preparation of internal memoranda and other materials that are part of the grantmaking process.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
· A deep passion for strengthening American democracy
· Willingness to contribute, learn, and respectfully engage with those who have different perspectives
· Ability to work at least 3 days per week (20 hours minimum; full time preferred)
· Experience in the field or enrollment in an accredited university program; individuals pursuing a Master’s or higher degree preferred
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Professional demeanor
· Success in developing and maintaining institutional, political, and personal relationships
· Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team
· Eagerness to learn, high self-motivation, and orientation towards details
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Cover letters should include: 1) a statement regarding why you want to work in the Public Square Program at the Democracy Fund, 2) an idea for a project to undertake while here, and 3) your availability throughout the Spring and/or Summer terms, including preferred start and end dates.
The Democracy Fund offers a paid internship program in an inclusive environment that gives students and recent graduates the unique opportunity to make important professional contributions to our work. For the Spring and Summer 2017 terms, the pay rate is $21/hour for undergraduate interns and $25/hour for graduate level interns. Apply here.