Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. We are currently seeking an energetic and enthusiastic intern to work closely with our Organizing and Alliances Team based in Washington, DC. The core function of this position will be to provide research and database development support for Oxfam’s faith engagement program which is a key component of Oxfam’s campaigning and advocacy efforts. This position will also provide outreach and tactical support for a time-bound and high impact campaign.
The internship is 35 hours per week and includes a stipend.
Typical tasks and responsibilities include:
- Mapping of U.S. faith constituencies;
- Research and writing related to targeted Congressional campaigns;
- Supporting organizers in their outreach with faith communities.
- Tracking information and measuring impact of program work;
- Coordinating event and program logistics;
- Occasional packing and shipping of campaign materials.
The Organizing and Alliances intern will have the opportunity to gain practical organizing skills, get an inside understanding of campaigning and outreach within an international development and advocacy agency and have access to the multitude of events, conferences and interest based meet ups that happen every day all over the nation’s capital. The internship offers a friendly work environment with several fellow interns and supportive staff willing to share knowledge and career advice.
- The intern should be pursuing an undergraduate degree or higher, and should have at minimum junior standing;
- The intern must have exacting attention to detail; strong writing and interpersonal communication skills; and a collaborative work ethic;
- The intern should possess strong organizational skills, professionalism and ability to meet deadlines;
- The intern should be familiar with online mapping tools or have the patience and willingness to learn how to use them;
- The intern should also have an interest in global social justice issues; and a high level of personal energy and commitment.
- Proficiency with Excel/Google spreadsheets is a must.