The National Democratic Institute’s Latin America and the Caribbean team is seeking to at least one intern/project assistant position starting in late January 2017. This is a paid internship. Candidates should be currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs or be a recent graduate. We strongly encourage the inclusion of a cover letter as part of the application. This internship requires a time commitment of 40 hours a week for at least three months.
● Translate internal documents and and external communications between English, Spanish, and potentially French.
● Occasionally provide simultaneous translation between English, Spanish and potentially French for visiting experts and partners.
● Assist in implementing democracy development programs throughout Latin America.
● Gather news daily from foreign and local sources online pertaining to NDI programs in Latin America.
● Attend meetings and events in DC on Latin American affairs and prepare notes for the LAC team.
● Draft summaries of program activities that occur in the field.
● Communicate with field office staff to gather information on program activities, travel, and other needs.
● Provide logistical and administrative support to the LAC team― including organizing internal events, arranging travel, booking hotels, and paying consultants.
● Conduct special projects and perform additional tasks as requested.
● Fluency speaking, reading, and writing in English and Spanish is required. French fluency is strongly prefered in addition to English and Spanish.
● Completed or pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in political science, international affairs or a related field.
● Available to work 40 hours per week for at least a three-month period upon accepting the internship.
● Legally authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the internship.
● Able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work with a team.
● Diligent in work processes.
● Flexible in schedule, attitude, and work prioritization.
● Demonstrated interest in Latin America and the Caribbean.
● Experience with Microsoft Office and G Suite a plus.
Interns are encouraged to attend workshops, lectures and other staff development events at NDI. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Apply here.