Maryland’s Office of the Secretary of State (OSOS), International Division, Annapolis
Summer 2017 Hours: 3-4 days a week 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (can be flexible with hours)
Administrative assistance for the International Division - Works closely with Director and Assistant Coordinator on day to day operations of the Maryland Sister States Program and the Governor’s Subcabinet on International Affairs. The location of the internship is Annapolis. The position is unpaid at this time. The internship provides the participant with hands-on experience and insight into the daily operations and substance of Maryland’s international affairs and government administration.
- Drafting and sending correspondence, letters, memos, and briefings
- Coordinating calendars to schedule meetings
- Organizing meetings and assisting in setting meeting agendas
- Sending meeting notices via email and tracking RSVPs
- Taking and transcribing meeting notes; sending notes as follow up
- Organizing program contacts and files
- Assisting with event planning and protocol
- Updating existing and creating new program databases
- Updating social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter)
- Participating in meetings with senior-level Maryland government officials, foreign delegations, and embassy diplomats
- Attending off-site meetings and programs to represent the work of the Office of the Secretary of State
- May assist other OSOS staff, including Deputy Secretary, from time to time
- Third and fourth year university/college government majors with international relations concentration, or similar, preferred
- Familiarity with Excel and Google calendar
- Ideal candidate possesses following characteristics: flexibility, reliability, independence, good writing skills
The Maryland Sister States Program, a program in the International Division of the Office of the Secretary of State, was established to provide a forum for the promotion of international cooperation and understanding. Through broad-based citizen participation in a wide variety of exchanges in areas of mutual interest, the Sister States Program offers countless opportunities to develop partnerships around the world. The Maryland Sister States Program was established in 1980 and currently includes 19 relationships in 17 countries.
The Governor’s Subcabinet on International Affairs is chaired by Maryland’s Secretary of State. The Subcabinet is comprised of the Secretaries and staff of state agencies (Commerce, Agriculture, Transportation, etc.,) with international interests. The Subcabinet meets on a quarterly basis with the dual objective of fostering communication related to international projects and creating a strategic plan for the state’s international agenda.
Start date: May 30, 2017. Please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references by March 26, 2017. A brief telephone interview followed by an in-person interview is required. Contact: Ms. Mary E. Nitsch, Director of International Affairs, OSOS; firstname.lastname@example.org; 410.260.3865