The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR), located in Washington, D.C., conducts and communicates research to inspire public dialogue, shape policy, and improve the lives and opportunities of women of diverse backgrounds, circumstances, and experiences. Throughout this 10 week internship program, our interns will learn about the fundamentals of the non-profit sector, grow in their professional development, and gain insight into policy research on various intersectional issues that impact women’s economic justice. IWPR interns work closely with staff and assist in a number of activities—including providing research, outreach, and administrative support—to help further IWPR’s mission and goals.
During the 2017 summer program, IWPR will offer internships in three areas: Research, Communications and Marketing, and Accounting. Summer interns work full-time (40 hours/week) for 10 weeks, usually from early June to August (start and end dates are relatively flexible). Summer interns are paid an hourly wage.
While the internship will be an opportunity for professional development, applicants should consider the following general requirements:
- A passion for women's issues and economic justice
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Good computer skills
- Prior office experience is desirable, as interns are responsible for a minimal amount of general office work (e.g. answering phones, photocopying, filing, and maintaining the library)
- Proficiency with Excel (required)
- Experience with or interest in nonprofit accounting
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Effective knowledge of QuickBooks or other accounting software a plus
Interested students can learn more about the position and apply by logging in to Careers4Terps and searching the internship’s ID number: 155300