Assist the Policy and Advocacy team, including the Vice President, Directors, Officers and Department Manager with all aspects of work on our priority advocacy issues.
- Attend select meetings and congressional hearings on behalf of staff, take detailed notes, and report back.
- Perform research on various topics.
- Prepare materials for distribution during meetings and briefings.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Interest in and knowledge of humanitarian aid and/or refugee issues.
- Solid writing, editing, and research skills with focus on details.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment.
- Solid computer skills: must be able to work effectively and accurately with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, email, and internet applications.
- Flexible work attitude: must be able to work productively in a team environment as well as under minimal supervision taking the initiative to ask questions as needed.
- Available to work at least three days per week.
- Will gain experience writing with an advocacy focus.
- Will learn about complex system of factors affecting policy at international and national levels.
- Will have an opportunity to observe and interact with different NGO partners and IRC staff involved in policy decisions.
- Will network within the NGO community.
- Will gain a deeper understanding of specific humanitarian crises and the NGO and governmental responses.
- Will learn about process of coordinating advocacy across an international NGO.
Please note that this internship is unpaid. Please submit a cover letter, resume and 2-4 page writing sample, preferably on a topic relating to global refugee issues, humanitarian aid, or U.S. immigration issues to Lindsey.Novak@rescue.org.