The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS seeks a Research Assistant to join the China Power Project. The Research Assistant will primarily support the development of the written analysis and data visualizations of the ChinaPower microsite. Key research areas include: international affairs, statistical analysis, Chinese foreign policy, and economics. Candidates should be motivated self-starters that enjoy a wide variety of analytical tasks.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assisting with the development and updating of content for the ChinaPower website.
• Monitoring issues concerning China’s international affairs.
• Collecting, analyzing, and manipulating complex datasets.
• Researching and writing on issues related to Chinese power.
• Proofreading and editing content.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher.
• Hold at least a 3.3 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution.
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets.
• Experience with general-purpose statistical software (e.g. STATA, R, SPSS).
• Demonstrated knowledge of issues concerning Chinese power and international relations.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Superb writing and editing skills.
• Experience with quantitative and qualitative analysis.
• Ability to work independently and manage competing priorities.
Strongly preferred qualifications:
• Familiarity with website development and/or content management systems.
• Strong proficiency in Mandarin Chinese.
• Working knowledge of SQL databases.
• Background in data visualization
• Experience with business intelligence software.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, writing sample, and college transcript at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States