The National Park Service (NPS) Office of Partnerships and Philanthropic Stewardship (Partnership Office) is searching for a student who is interested in an opportunity to assist in the development of web content and media products that communicate the partnerships and philanthropy program of the NPS. This position is open to students who are scheduled to graduate no earlier than Fall 2018.
The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. The Park Service cooperates with partners to extend the benefits of natural and cultural resource conservation and outdoor recreation throughout this country and the world.
The NPS strives to fulfill its mission and encourage greater citizen engagement in national park programs and activities by partnering with educational institutions, organizations, businesses, and federal, state, tribal and local agencies. The Partnership Office helps the NPS and its partners create, enhance, and recognize their collaborative work through training, communication, and policy leadership.
- Collaborate with the Brand Manager to develop content for the NPS Partnership website and implement a content strategy. Content will tell the story of partnerships and philanthropy and the National Park System from a modern and historical perspective.
- Assess and update content strategy.
- Serve as the digital media expert, remaining current with emerging trends, opportunities, and best practices.
- Create, edit, and post video, audio, and text content for NPS partnership website.
- Track website analytics and recommend ways to improve site traffic.
- Developing competency in various publication forums, software, and systems (e.g., the website content management system, social media sites, InsideNPS, the NPS Places system, etc.).
- Developing competency in application of (e.g., Section 508) and NPS accessibility standards.
- Developing competency in application of policies pertaining to digital communications and related tools and technologies, such as federal law (Section 508, etc.), Executive Orders, Director’s Orders, guidance documents, NPS Graphic Identity Program, and intellectual property use.
- Strong web and social media communication skills.
- Experience managing a website and social media.
- Ability to frame digital content in meaningful and engaging ways for visitors and staff.
- Ability to use communications and interpretive skills to write effectively for digital media.
- Skill to frame digital content in meaningful and engaging ways for visitors and staff.
- Skill in media production and editing (e.g., photographs, graphics, video, audio, etc.).
- General knowledge of analytics and how analytic data can be used to assist in developing, managing, and evaluating digital content.
- Ability to ensure that their content demonstrates knowledge of, and effective execution of, their digital strategy.
- Ability to work collaboratively, within a team environment, for improved internal communication and unified messaging.
Candidates should possess excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, have strong attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple assignments.
The Partnership Office is located in the Department of the Interior at 1849 C St., NW, Washington DC 20240. The closest metro stations are Farragut West, Farragut North, and Foggy Bottom. Bus transportation is also conveniently located in close proximity to the office.
Work Schedule and Pay
This part time (24 hours per week) internship will begin at the start of the spring 2018 semester (or preferably earlier, depending on availability) and continue until the end of the spring semester, with the possibility of extension into the summer. Interns will be paid $14.00 per hour.
To apply, please submit an electronic cover letter, resume, professional and/or educational references, and a one-page writing sample to Kathryn Hopps, Program Director for Experiential Learning, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For additional information or general questions about this position, please phone or email Jackie Dostourian, NPS Washington Partnership Office, at 202-354-2182 or Jackie_Dostourian@nps.gov.