Established in 2014, the U.S. Foreign Service Internship Program (USFSIP) is a merit and need-based opportunity that offers two paid summer internships to expose undergraduate students to U.S. diplomacy and the Department of State at large. The program is both professionally and academically beneficial as it provides writing training, diplomatic history, and hands-on experience to the daily operations of U.S. foreign policy.
USFSIP consists of participation for two consecutive summers. In the first summer (2020), participants come to Washington, D.C. for three weeks of training including: U.S. diplomatic history, Department writing, and professional development. Following the training, interns work for seven weeks on policy desks in regional or functional bureaus at State. The second summer (2021) is a ten week assignment to a U.S. embassy overseas. In the intervening year, USFSIP interns must maintain at least a 3.2 GPA and take the Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) to gain a better understanding of the Foreign Service assessment process.
To qualify you must:
1. Be a U.S. Citizen.
2. Demonstrate financial need via Student Aid Report (SAR) and/or Statement of Financial Need/Adversity.
3. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or above.
4. Be a sophomore or junior when applying (i.e. be a rising junior or senior at the start of program).
5. Be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student in an accredited college or university at least half time.
6. Must have firm plans to continue education after the first USFSIP summer.
7. Must be available during program dates of June 1, 2020- August 7, 2020 (similar dates for 2021).
8. Must be able to obtain and maintain SECRET security clearance.
9. Remain in good academic standing (3.20 GPA or higher) for the duration of program.
To be eligible to participate, students must be in their sophomore or junior year in an undergraduate degree program when applying. If you are a current freshman, senior, or graduate student - you are not eligible for this program.
Apply by September 2 on USA Jobs: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/543258600