Meeting in HJ Patterson Global Crossroads Lounge (Lobby) 6:30 to 7:30 Tonight, Tuesday! Stepping up as an officer can:
- Give you leadership experience to showcase on your resume
- Help you learn more about how UMD works
- Increase your organizational and networking skills
- Give you the opportunity to get to know our other wonderful officers and co-advisors (who often have job search tips and offer references)
Last year the ISU held a panel on adjusting to life in the US and hosted a Halloween party. We have begun planning events for this year. We are repeating the panel this month. Students are planning an international student podcast series and hope to host an international fashion show/open mic. The more volunteers we have, the more events the group can offer.
The officer positions that are still open include: Secretary and Vice President for Social Media. The expectations we have set for officers are:
· Attend two meetings per month (officers who can't make all the large meetings may sometimes meet with a smaller group)
· Plan one event (with help from other students)
· Answering group WhatsApp messages within 24 hours during the academic year
· Check in monthly with other officers and advisors during the summer
· Recruit a replacement before they graduate
If you want to play a smaller role, there are plenty of other opportunities
- Volunteering at First Look Fair to staff the table on McKeldin mall for a two-hour shift tomorrow, Wednesday, September 11, or Thursday, September 12 and at other events in October.
- We need students to serve as ambassadors attending two International Student Coffee hours (2:30-3:30 Wednesdays) a month,
- Maintaining the Facebook page
- Moderating the LinkedIn group
- Taking minutes of meetings
- Designing a slide for the monitor in the Student Organization Resource Center
- Designing an ad for the shuttle buses
- Helping with professional development events
ALL students are welcome to join the International Student Union.