The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics (AREC) and the Ag Law
Education Initiative (ALEI) seek an undergraduate student in journalism or
communications to assist us in promoting our work by assisting in writing stories for our
website and newsletter and assisting in social media marketing during the spring semester,
or earlier depending on the candidate.
Start date: Flexible
Structure: 10 to 15 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Are you a journalism or communications student interested in using your skills to
support a vibrant and innovative University of Maryland department and program?
AREC (arec.umd.edu) and ALEI (umaglaw.edu) are recruiting an intern to write news
stories/multimedia stories for both websites and ALEI’s quarterly newsletter. This paid
position is a great opportunity to produce external communications and develop real-
world experience with two dynamic University of Maryland programs.
● Gather story ideas and write/produce news stories.
● Work with staff to generate copy for our websites, including program
descriptions, faculty profiles, and news updates.
● Work with ALEI team members to produce external communications, including
quarterly newsletter and press releases.
● Work with ALEI team members to highlight materials and accomplishments on
● Fact check, proofread, format, and edit as necessary.
● Performs related duties as required.
● University of Maryland undergraduate student, preferably in Journalism or
● Previous news writing experience preferred. Students who have news writing
experience from within any academic major are encouraged to apply.
● Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills.
● Attention to detail.
● Self-starter who can take direction and contribute ideas.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to
Paul Goeringer at email@example.com