Half-Time Research Coordinator Job for Recent Grad with the Enabling Peace in Iraq Center
The Enabling Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC) works directly with civil society leaders in Iraq to provide relief to vulnerable populations, monitor the crisis to better inform public policy, and enhance understanding of Iraq’s story. EPIC was founded in 1998 by U.S. veterans and humanitarian advocates who believe that a human security approach can make Iraq safe and prosperous again.
EPIC seeks a dynamic, qualified, and highly motivated individual to fill the part-time position of Research Coordinator, working in close coordination with our DC-based team and our field office in Iraq. While the work will primarily be done remotely, candidatesmust be based in the Eastern Time zone and preferably in the DC area.
Strong applicants will demonstrate a proven ability in conducting research (based primarily on Arabic-language sources) and writing news analyses. This position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, strong interpersonal skills, and ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail.
The Research Coordinator reports to the Program Manager, works closely with the Executive Director, and supervises two to three research interns.
Research and Monitoring
● Manage the weekly compiling and publication of EPIC’s Iraq Security and Humanitarian Monitor (ISHM)
● Train select interns on how to conduct daily research to support ISHM’s content
● Ensure ISHM’s consistency, reliability, and authenticity through proper editing and thorough fact-checking
● Grow ISHM subscribership through online marketing, social media engagement, and cultivating relationships with Iraq watchers and scholars
● Advertise internship opportunities based on office needs
● Help recruit, train, and manage two to three interns
● Remain dedicated to EPIC’s mission: making Iraq safe and prosperous again through programming, advocacy, and education
● Work zealously to implement EPIC’s strategic goals and objectives and enhance its reputation and brand
● Contribute to a positive solutions-focused work environment with all colleagues, including interns
● Take initiative that adds value to the organization, including participation in professional development activities and staying up-to-date on the situation in Iraq
● Accomplish other tasks and duties as they are assigned with attention to detail and thoughtful ability
We are looking for candidates with the ability to effectively fill and grow this role. We expect that qualified candidates will have:
● A bachelor’s degree in Middle Eastern studies, political or social science, international relations, or a closely related field
● Excellent research and writing skills in English
● Advanced to fluent knowledge of modern standard Arabic (will be tested)
● Demonstrated interest in and familiarity with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, especially Iraq
● Proactive problem-solver with a strong work ethic and sense of responsibility
● Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within EPIC as well as develop external relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
● Ability to work well under pressure and to prioritize multiple tasks with limited instruction
● A sense of humor is a strong plus
Submit a resume, a cover letter, a list of at least three references, and a writing sample of no more than five pages. Please include the position title in the subject line.
For best consideration, apply by October 31. No phone calls accepted. To apply please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Director for Experiential Learning