Position: Undergraduate Marketing and Technology Assistant in the Office of Multi-ethnic Student Education
Semester(s)/Term(s): Spring 2021
Number of available opening(s): 1
Number of hours needed per week: 10
Hourly wage: $11.75
Department address: 1101 Hornbake Library, College Park, MD 20742
Additional comments: This position can be done remotely.
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Marketing and Technology, the candidate will serve as the undergraduate marketing and technology assistant and will perform a variety of functions for communication, marketing and technology. The student will obtain an understanding of diversity and inclusion and higher education, working alongside the assistant director for the development of marketing collateral, supporting technology implementation and interacting with fellow students, university faculty & staff, alumni and community leaders to support the mission of the office.
The candidate will provide marketing and technology support for program events and services; analyze, assist with comparing and evaluating various courses of action in order to make decisions on efficient and effective communication approaches; explore innovative ways to market the office to various audiences; develop, design and write promotional collateral (i.e. e-newsletters, brochures, websites, social media content) to promote the office to designated audiences; develop press releases; develop and refine key messages, promote program services; develop and update website content; publish e-newsletters which include educational and program-based content for target populations; assist with coordination of special events; analyze and report on the effectiveness of marketing, technology and other programmatic efforts; provide first-level technical support and user support for computers, AV equipment and other hardware and software; conduct presentations and trainings for various stakeholders; and other marketing, technology and programmatic project coordination tasks as needed.
- Enrollment in an undergraduate bachelor's degree program required; pursuit of a degree in marketing, communications, public relations, graphic design or a closely related field is preferred.
- Experience with graphic design and creative writing for the development of flyers, email newsletters, social media and online content.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite products, including Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, Google Suite for Education, social media management and web content management systems such as WordPress
- Experience providing hardware and software support as well as troubleshooting technology problems; Knowledge of Mac and PC troubleshooting
- Experience in an educational environment or office environment preferred
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders of various backgrounds
- Able to work independently and as part of a diverse team
- Must be currently enrolled in a University of Maryland undergraduate degree program in good standing
- Candidates are asked to present an outstanding portfolio showcasing strong digital and print design, branding and writing skills.
- Time requirement: 10 hours per week maximum
- *Candidates must have a Federal Work Study award.
The undergraduate marketing and technology assistant will gain an understanding of strategic marketing management and technology management. This position provides the student with the opportunity to work independently, creatively and collaboratively to obtain experience in self-management, responsible decision-making, problem-solving, teamwork, task follow-through, relationship building, diversity, education and professional-level job expectations.
The undergraduate marketing and technology assistant will receive frequent, high-quality supervision and interaction with professional staff members to such an extent as to foster the acquisition of a general overview of and specific skills in a broad range of areas including communications, marketing and technology management. The student will be provided with ongoing feedback and is expected to demonstrate sound judgment, discretion, an appreciation for inclusive excellence, an ongoing commitment to academic excellence and strong written and verbal communication skills.
Contact person(s): Mr. Tunji Sawyer, MBA: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply: Submit a resume, cover letter and one recommendation letter (educational or professional only) via email to email@example.com. Candidates are asked to present an outstanding portfolio showcasing strong digital and print design, branding and writing skills. All materials must be submitted via email. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.