CSIS is seeking four full-time virtual interns to join the Project on Prosperity and Development (PPD) starting in early June. Internships are seasonal and typically last 3 months with the possibility of extension up to 6 months at the discretion of the program. Applicants should indicate in their cover letter their available start and end dates. Candidates will be considered without regard for physical location but must be legally eligible to work in the United States for the duration of the position.
Interns are primarily responsible for conducting research on international development, development finance, U.S. foreign policy, international organizations, private sector engagement on development, trade issues, and more. Interns also lead social media efforts, write a blog post to be published on CSIS Prosper, and assist in event planning and management. Because of the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters with a strong writing background and excellent attention to detail.
Candidates should be expected to be at their professional best through the course of this internship and be prepared to work on a diverse set of research topics. The interns will report to Program Coordinator, Shannon McKeown.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
RESEARCH AND WRITING (60 %)
- Conduct literature reviews, and compile and analyze data for ongoing research projects.
- Provide other research, writing, and editing support for various reports and documents.
- Support written products through background research, copy-editing, and editing citations as necessary.
- Collaborate with and support multiple staff members on different research projects on topics ranging from the future of work, forced migration, conflict and stabilization, development finance, quality infrastructure, and other sustainability and capacity building topics in the developing world.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES (40 %)
- Manage content on Twitter, Facebook, the CSIS website, and contribute to the program’s development blog, CSIS Prosper.
- Promote PPD’s public events on Twitter in the weeks or days before and live tweet on the day of the event.
- Assist in preparation for meetings, private and public events, and conferences.
- Virtually attend meetings and events to take notes on various topics related to international development in addition to other forms of event support, some of which may be before or after work hours.
- Perform ad hoc requests and other duties as necessary in support of staff members.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (or current student) in economics, international development, political science, or a related field.
- Full-time availability for 35 hours/week (required) between early June and late August 2021.
- Demonstrate the ability to take detailed notes during meetings in an effective manner.
- Demonstrate professional communication skills in conversation with colleagues and high-level stakeholders and be able to communicate ideas clearly in various written formats.
- Outstanding attention to detail; proven ability to advance research projects with hands-off supervision while being accountable for the accuracy of outputs.
- Familiarity with creating footnotes in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style 17th Edition.
- Experience using Twitter and Facebook in a professional capacity.
- Demonstrated understanding of CSIS purpose and function, as well as a familiarity with PPD.
- Flexibility and the ability to manage multiple assignments under tight deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Prior internship experience is a plus, although not required.