The American Federation of Teachers is a union of professionals that champions fairness; democracy; economic opportunity; and high-quality public education, healthcare and public services for our students, their families and our communities. We are committed to advancing these principles through community engagement, organizing, collective bargaining and political activism, and especially through the work our members do. The AFT believes that a culturally diverse workforce advances our mission and we strongly encourage applications from under-represented communities of workers.
Internship Duties and Responsibilities
Interns in the International Affairs Department receive hands-on experience with wide-range activities in which we are engaged such as planning study missions and international workshops, global comparative research, civic education curriculum development and mobilizing AFT’s members for campaigns.
Specifically, the intern will:
· Conduct research and write briefing papers.
· Draft human rights protest letters on violation of the rights of teachers, labor leaders and students.
· Attend and report on foreign policy forums and congressional hearings. .
· Prepare briefing materials and assist with international travel arrangements for AFT delegations traveling abroad.
· Assist in developing civic education and teaching materials.
· Prepare departmental displays for conventions and conferences.
· Coordinate programs for international visitors.
· Assist in arranging international real-time video conferencing, maintaining the International Affairs Website, creating trainer contact database and distributing information about AFT international activities.
· Participate in staff meetings and mobilizations.
Candidates should have:
· professional experience and academic studies in relevant areas of education and international development;
· written and oral communication skills and practice in social networking applications;
· demonstrated independent research and analytical competencies;
· advance technology capacities;
· Willingness to assume administrative tasks.
Candidate must be available to work 25-35 hours a week. A one-year commitment is preferred; other terms are negotiable. Compensation and benefits are based on academic standing.
Please forward a cover letter and writing sample and resume.
To apply please send an email to: email@example.com