Job Title: Intern - Government Affairs
Location: 11921 Rockville Pike Suite 300 Rockville, MD, 20852 United States
Base Pay: $12.00 - $15.00 / Hour
To assist the AKF’s the Office of Government Affairs (OGA) with its work on federal and state public policy and advocacy, and with recruiting and retaining grassroots Ambassadors. An intern in the office will see and participate firsthand in the inner workings of an active government relations office and gain practical experience and insight pertinent to a career in politics, government, advocacy, or government relations. This internship is expected to be around 15-20 hours per week and 3-4 months in duration depending upon the successful candidate's credit requirements.
- Track federal and state legislative and regulatory actions.
- Research and compile list of elected officials with connection to kidney disease
- Recruit new Ambassadors via phone, email, and social media.
- Assess and prioritize their involvement with AKF.
- Draft content for and monitor communications on the AKF Ambassadors Facebook group.
- Assist government relations team with scheduling meetings with lawmakers, staffers, stakeholders, coalition members and others as needed.
- Provide assistance in research, coalition building and the development of fact sheets, and other advocacy materials to address AKF priority areas.
- Monitor news clips for stories relevant to the government relations department.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student in government relations
- Previous government relations internship experience and/or relevant coursework preferred
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills and listening skills
- Highly motivated, self-starter Adept at online research and database entry
- Willingness to assist with routine administrative tasks/”team” attitude
- Dependable/conscientious work ethic
- Desire to learn more about health care policy and kidney disease patient advocacy
AKF works on a hybrid work schedule with employees working two days in the office and three days of telework.
AKF requires employees to be fully vaccinated by their first day of hire. A request for medical or religious accommodation may be provided and will be considered confidentially by HR on a case-by-case basis.