The Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services seeks a Victim Services Intern for Spring 2023 within the Victim Services Unit. This position will work alongside the Victim Services Program Manager and the Victim Services Coordinator and collaborate with various external stakeholders which include the Maryland State Board of Victim Services, the Governor’s Family Violence Council, the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, State’s Attorneys’ Offices, and victim service providers involved in implementation of policy seeking to enhance victim services in Maryland.
Primary functions of this internship will include supporting the implementation of two statewide events during National Crime Victims' Rights Week, assisting with the abuse intervention program certification process, and assisting in coordinating various workgroup meetings.
● Assist with the coordination and planning of the Annual Crime Victims’ Rights Conference and the Annual Memorial Services for Crime Victims and Their Families, held during National Crime Victims’ Rights Week (50%)
● Assist with the coordination and planning of regular meetings, which include the Maryland State Board of Victim Services and the Governor’s Family Violence Council, and related working groups (25%)
● Review certification applications for Abuse Intervention Programs and assist with the certification process (15%)
● Other tasks as assigned (10%)
The successful candidate will:
● Be enrolled in a Criminal Justice, social sciences, or a related program.
● Possess a demonstrated interest in criminal justice-related subjects including advocacy, court procedure, crime victim and witnesses, victim services, and law enforcement.
● Have a strong desire to engage and learn about the criminal justice system.
● Possess excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
● Have experience working with government officials and stakeholders.
● Be detail-oriented.
● Have strong organizational skills.
● Program Dates: January 2023-May 2023, up to 30 hours per week.
● This 12-week program provides students interested in criminal justice and victim services with rewarding and substantive work assignments that contribute to the mission of the Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services to improve public safety in Maryland.
● This program provides an opportunity to network with professionals from the Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services, the Maryland State Board of Victim Services, the Governor’s Family Violence Council, the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, State’s Attorneys’ Offices, victim service providers, and other organizations and agencies who will support professional growth and career interests.
● Learned outcomes or skills learned throughout this program include developing work habits and attitudes necessary for career success in the criminal justice field; receiving informal feedback and mentoring from the Victim Services Program Manager and Victim Services Coordinator; developing communication, interpersonal, and other critical skills necessary for success in the workforce; and building a record of professional work experience in the public sector.
● This position is located at 100 Community Place, Crownsville, MD 21032.
● For consideration, submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample (no more than two pages in length), as well as names and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 21, 2022. Please indicate “Victim Services Intern” in the subject line.