Manis Canning & Associates (MCA) is seeking a mature undergraduate student to serve as an intern to assist the firm’s lobbyists during the 2023 Maryland General Assembly Session. MCA is a bipartisan firm providing creative and proactive government affairs, public relations, business strategies and programs to a diverse group of clients. Its principals have more than 100 years of experience working with legislators, regulators and the executive branches of government at the local, state and federal levels. MCA has expertise in a broad range of policy areas such as sports entertainment, taxes, professional licensing, gaming, transportation, insurance, business regulation, information technology, environmental regulation, pharmaceuticals and healthcare. For information on the firm’s principals and clients visit MCA’s website, www.maniscanning.com.
Applicant must be self-motivated; possess a level of maturity and interest necessary to complete assignments with little supervision; and possess good writing, communication, and computer skills.
Knowledge of state issues and structure is a plus for this position. MCA’s office and the General Assembly buildings are located in downtown Annapolis. Walking from MCA’s office to the General Assembly and government buildings will be required.
The internship begins in early-January just prior to the beginning of the General Assembly session through mid-April. The General Assembly session starts on January 11, 2023 and ends on Monday, April 10, 2023.
A training day will be scheduled prior to the first day of the session.
The intern will work at least 20 hours a week preferably on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday as these are the days when committee hearings are held. Other schedules may be considered.
- Assist MCA lobbyists and staff with preparation and delivery of testimony and materials
- Assist with signing up MCA lobbyists and other specified individuals to testify at bill hearings
- Perform bill research as necessary, which may include retrieving relevant information from bill files in Senate and House Committees or the Legislative Services Library
- Assist lobbyists with tracking legislation, by producing reports and tracking bill hearing dates, budget hearing dates, and other important meeting dates on calendars
- Attend public bill hearings and budget hearings as needed taking notes of key relevant points mentioned during the hearings and sharing information with MCA lobbyists
- Assist with posting General Assembly updates and news to the MCA Newsletter
- Possibly assisting with updates to MCA website
- Other necessary duties as assigned
A stipend comparable to that of the General Assembly internship program will be offered.
Submit letter of interest and resume to Andrea Mansfield at email@example.com
Contact Andrea Mansfield at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-263-7882 if you have questions regarding MCA or internship responsibilities.
For more information about MCA, visit our website at www.maniscanning.com.