Virginia Indigent Defense Commission Office of the Public Defender Criminal Investigative Division Spring 2023 Criminal Investigator Internship - Major Crimes Unit
(Bilingual – English/Spanish speakers highly preferred)
Who Are We?
The Indigent Defense Commission (IDC) is a State Agency which represents indigent people charged with criminal offenses throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. The IDC has numerous offices throughout the state and they are comprised of state attorneys, mitigation specialists, administrative staff and investigative divisions. Our division works on Fairfax County criminal cases and is located at the Fairfax County Public Defender’s Office (4103 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA).
What Do Investigators Do?
• Investigate major crimes
o Interview clients and witnesses (in jail, the office, or in private homes)
o Conduct research, review evidence and retrieve records
o Write detailed investigative reports o Attend court proceedings
o Assist in any additional trial preparation tasks
Investigators assist the state attorneys by gathering facts and evidence that will help them resolve cases. Interns will assist investigators with their caseload, which consists of serious felony cases, including murder, sex crimes, robbery, assault, etc.
Why Might You Be a Good Fit for the Investigator Internship?
• You have an interest in, and some familiarity with, the Criminal Justice System (through coursework or other practical experience)
• You are comfortable with conducting field work that brings you out into the community and into people’s homes
• You are proficient in Spanish, or another foreign language (Bilingual - Spanish speakers highly preferred)
• You are a good communicator and will maintain professionalism even when interacting with rude or difficult people
• You have a positive and willing attitude
This is an actual hands-on professional work experience!
(Non-paid Internship - Covid-19 safety procedures in place for all Interns)
How to Apply: Provide your resume with a cover letter and email it by Friday 10/14/22
firstname.lastname@example.org / 703-934-5600 Ext. 130