Minimum 10 -15 hours per week through semester. Prefer intern to commit to at least three hour blocks of time in office.
$10 per hour.
Better Markets, ( www.bettermarkets.com ) a non-partisan, non-profit organization promoting the public interest in financial reform in the U.S. global capital markets, seeks up to three communication interns to support its busy press office. The candidate should be a current junior, senior, or recently graduated undergraduate student with interest in financial reform, proven written and oral communications abilities, plus great digital and social media skills. We offer a professional work environment in downtown Washington D.C. This is a great opportunity to learn about important policy issues, effective communications and public relations strategies.
• Draft original content, including blog posts, press releases, newsletter, and factsheets
• Maintain Better Markets social networking sites (including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube)
• Update the Better Markets website, including video and audio files postings
• Perform media research, identify media opportunities and support press engagement
• Monitor press appearances on TV, print and online outlets
• Maintain media and coverage databases
• Perform other duties assigned by communications office
• Initiative, good attitude and willingness to learn
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• AP Style knowledge
• Proficient in web-based technology, experience with web design a plus
• Excellent research skills
• Knowledge of and enthusiasm for social networking
• Ability to work under tight deadlines
• Ability to handle assigned tasks efficiently
• Familiarity with basics of financial reform a plus
• Prior experience in a press office of agency useful but not required
Better Markets is an equal opportunity employer. Please send cover letter, resume and a writing sample to email@example.com