The Economic Development Division oversees the growth and development of local businesses and entrepreneurs, guides the development of new commercial and residential properties, and supports the training and workforce development of residents. The overall mission of the Economic Development Division is to promote the well-being and quality of life in Takoma Park. The Division seeks an intern to assist in advancing the City’s small business and economic development goals.
This internship can last for up to twelve (12) months. The selected candidate will work an average of 30-40 hours per week, and will be virtual for most activities. Some weekend or evening meetings may be required. The pay range is between $15 and $18 per hour. This position is not subject to membership in the AFSCME union.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Effectively support a range of activities as it relates to business development;
- Successfully contribute to the development a Business Resource Guide;
- Assist with the implementation of recommendations deriving from the Housing and Economic Development Strategic Plan;
- Create and implement innovative ways to engage diverse stakeholders in economic development projects;
- Provide support to the community engagement firm for the development of the Takoma Park Recreation Center;
- Support web content including but not limited to website development and maintenance;
- Develop and implement communication tools to increase outreach efforts;
- Support workforce development activities;
- Provide general program support for the Economic Development Division.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required to be successful are:
- Strong research, writing and communication skills;
- Strong interest in community revitalization, equitable development, and local business development;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision making capabilities, including the ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, tact, and diplomacy;
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently and complete tasks on time;
- Interest in small business, entrepreneurship, community development, marketing, planning, or housing;
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals; great interpersonal skills;
- Some experience with marketing and/or community outreach.
Qualified candidates must either have graduated with a bachelor’s or master’s degree within the past two years, or be currently enrolled in a bachelor or graduate program in business administration, public administration, or the social sciences.
In addition, highly preferred candidates will possess the following:
- Foreign language skills, especially Spanish, French, or Amharic
The following materials must be included with your submission. They can be uploaded under "Documents." Submissions that do not include these documents will not be considered.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (maximum length two pages)
- For best consideration, apply by October 1 on the City of Takoma Park website.