USG’s Career & Internship Services Center (CISC) works in collaboration with USG’s partner institutions to provide professional and career development services for students and alumni. The Center offers individual consultation as well as group sessions, and hosts many career related events such as workshops, seminars, resume and interview clinics, job fairs, and networking events. The Career and Internship Services Center also works in collaboration with the regional business community to develop strategic partnerships, professional employment, and experiential learning opportunities which will benefit students. This position is needed to provide critical short-term support for USG’s Career and Internship Services Center. This is a temporary, four-month part-time position with no benefits. The incumbent in this role will telework during the Fall 2020 semester and/or until further notice. Position is assigned to the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) Career & Internship Services Center (CISC) located in Rockville, Maryland.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct Services for Students & Career Resource Center Support CISC’s continued efforts to develop a comprehensive virtual career resource center for students Promote CISC’s expanding services initiative, which includes outreach, programming, and direct services for graduate, evening, and weekend student populations at USG
- Support outreach and awareness activities to build and enhance current and graduated student awareness, usage, and engagement with the CISC
Career Coaching & Consultation
- Conduct individual and group career coaching and consultation to student and alumni populations which includes, but is not limited to, guidance on resume and cover letter preparation, interview preparation, networking resources, business etiquette, salary negotiation, job and internship search strategies, and assistance with placement in a variety of experiential learning programs.
- Experiential Learning Student Placement Work with the CISC staff and academic partners to screen, refer, place, and track students in experiential learning activities to include, but not limited to internships, externships, co-ops, job shadowing, service-learning and more.
- Support the development, planning and execution of various virtual or online career development events.
- Perform various special projects, data entry, research, and other administrative duties as needed.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education required.
- Minimum of oneyear professional work experience required.
- Knowledge and experience related to career coaching preferred
- Knowledge of USG campus and its student community preferred
- Experience with social media and providing services to students also preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Candidate should possess some knowledge and experience in the areas of higher education, project management, student, and event planning.
- Candidate should have an understanding of the USG educational partnership and unique student population we serve.
- The incumbent in this role should demonstrate the ability to work well both individually and within a group, and the ability to successfully collaborate with USG’s partner institutions, partner career centers and academic program representatives.
- The incumbent in this role should possess strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Additional Information:
- This is a temporary, four-month part-time position with no benefits.
- Posting Date: 09/29/2020
- Closing Date: Open Until Filled Yes
- Best Consideration Date 10/07/2020
- Physical Demands Professional office environment. Prolonged use of computer. Extended period of sitting and/or standing and communicating with others.