Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Silver Spring, MD USA
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK - Immigration Intern
IRC's Immigration Department in Silver Spring, Maryland provides high quality, low-cost immigration services, including filing applications for adjustment of status (i.e. green cards), work authorization, naturalization, and family reunification for refugees, asylees, victims of trafficking and other immigrants.
- Facilitate adjustment of status applications with humanitarian immigrants.
- Perform research on immigration issues, polices and programs.
- Promote the IRC’s immigration department through online and local networks.
- Build partnerships with local agencies to improve provision of immigration services.
- Provide administrative support to the Immigration team including tracking, filing, and mailing relevant documents applications, and notices of action.
- Assist clients with document translation, authentication, presentation and completion.
- Interns will gain exposure to local refugee and asylee community.
- Interns will understand the various immigration processes and procedures refugees and asylees encounter.
- Interns will experience working in a multicultural office environment.
- Minimum commitment of four months and at least 24 hours per week. 35 hours per week preferred. Desired start date is January 5, 2021.
- Spanish or French fluency highly desirable.
- Applicants pursuing a degree related to international affairs, immigration, or law related subjects preferred. Current student or within 12 months of schooling preferred.*
- Passion to work with diverse and limited-English speaking refugees.
- Interest and/or work experience in U.S Immigration law (Prior experience in immigration is a plus).
- Excellent research, language, database management and record keeping skills.
Click Apply Now at the top of this page: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/10664?c=rescue&source=IND. Please attach a resume, cover letter and list of (at least) three references to your application. This position is filled on a rolling basis. For best consideration apply by October 30.
This position is for the spring 2021 semester and requires a minimum commitment of 4 months and 24-35 hours a week. 35 hours per week preferred. Desired start date is January 5, 2021.
Note: This is an unpaid internship; Contact your college or department internship coordinator if you are interested in earning academic credit.
SCOPE OF WORK - Intake-Outreach/Q&A Intern
The Intake-Outreach Q&A program is the first point of contact to all “walk-in” clients that visit the IRC in Silver Spring. We provide fast track enrollment in public benefits and referrals to internal and/or external resources and programs as needed. We are part of the casework team and ensure “No visitor will walk out empty handed”.
- Perform an intake session with all walk-in clients to establish their eligibility for enrollment in public benefits and/or provide referrals to outside resources.
- Assist in maintaining databases and clients’ case files.
- Engage in outreach to identify new and existing resources that could benefit the populations we serve and to educate and inform our community about the IRC and services we provide.
- Intern will acquire knowledge of IRC programs and public benefits available for refugees, asylees and other humanitarian immigrants during their resettlement period.
- Intern will learn reporting requirements for resettlement agencies and how to capture data to improve services.
- Intern will gain exposure to case work in the resettlement field.
- Minimum commitment of three months and at least 20 hours per week. Monday-Thursday availability preferred. 35 hours per week preferred.
- Passionate about immigration, refugees and serving others.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Organized with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Language ability preferred: French, Amharic, Tigrinya, etc.
Click Apply Now at the top of this page. Please attach a resume, cover letter and list of (at least) three references to your application. This position is filled on a rolling basis.
This position is for the spring 2021 semester and requires a minimum commitment of 4 months and 20-35 hours per week.
IRC Silver Spring is operating remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All spring 2021 interns will start remotely, and the situation will be reevaluated as things evolve.
We currently offer internships during the following semesters:
Spring: January – May
Summer: May – August
Fall: September – December
Internships are typically posted 2-3 months prior to the anticipated start date.
Note: This is an unpaid internship; Check with your educational institution to determine if this internship is eligible for academic credit.
- Candidates applying who are not currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, or are outside 12 months of their graduation will be processed as volunteers.
To protect our clients, the IRC requires all selected applicants to complete background checks. We ask that you make a $30 donation to help us cover the associated costs. Currently, 87% of our funding goes directly to programming to support our clients, and your help to cover this cost will ensure that no funding is directed away from serving our clients. Instructions will be provided after you have been selected to intern or volunteer.
Apply here: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/10660?c=rescue&source=IND For best consideration, apply by October 30.
Three other internships are available on the IRC Careers website: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home?c=rescue&source=IND